Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Alex Salinas - Ju speak Spanish?


UNO. 

Ju speak Spanish, jes?
I looked down at my arms, 
white. 
No, I answered.  
Ju should learn Spanish, mijo,
            it’s important.
I don’t recall selling another tool that day.
Instead, I wandered the department store, the alleys of 
            memory.
Not even my own father told me to learn
            Spanish.
The customer was wrong. 
Who was he to judge if my
            tongue
was properly educated?

DOS.

Recently, I thought about his words, 
about blueprints. 
Straight white lines 
connecting, 
crosshatching 
on dark blue paper.  

TRES.

When you think about it, what blueprints are fully attuned to the rigors of
            reality?
When it comes down to it, what fathers fully understand all they must teach their
            children?

No comments:

Post a Comment