Saturday, October 15, 2011

haibun || Sheila E. Murphy

We Used to Be Fifth Largest, Now We're Sixth

I live in a place crossed off the map by you. We've deflected
scurvy, all the Vita-C. The pursuit of health resembles lip gloss,
every little botanist one can abide. Across from here are signs of life:
a chic night spot where one sips quite robust red wine, a sports bar,
and a used and vintage bookstore, celebrating 21 years. I asked
the man with one usual eye about Dick and Jane. He said there's
a collection of the very same in back, in addition to the volumes on
display below the counter just below the register, which prompted
my idea. We each declare that we looked forward to the plot
when young and reading those. I rose at 5:00 a.m. to read
numerous pages before school. I was in the store while the chic
restaurant hand crafted chicken meatballs with marinara sauce.
I bought a tribute to our Gertrude. I bought a mystery starring V.I.
By the time I ventured to pick up my food, nothing was ready, quite.
This evening, I forgot to close the shades. The rooms absorb this
darkness.

Semicolons being swept up from linoleum, the break we have awaited

Sheila E. Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment