Monday, May 13, 2019

Bruce McRae - Four Poems

Bruce McRae, a Canadian musician currently residing on Salt Spring Island BC, is a multiple Pushcart nominee with over 1,400 poems published internationally in magazines such as Poetry, Rattle and the North American Review. His books are ‘The So-Called Sonnets (Silenced Press), ‘An Unbecoming Fit Of Frenzy’ (Cawing Crow Press) and ‘Like As If” (Pski’s Porch), Hearsay (The Poet’s Haven).

***
1. Long Distance Love
Stars like question marks
after earnest enquiry.
Stars like asterisks
signifying lack.
Campfires of the Gauls.
The undead’s lanterns.


Goodbye Sol and Ganymede.
Goodbye Luna, the stars
winking provocatively.
Stars like kisses.
The Xs a lost love
sent to me at the end
of her last long letter.


***

2. Going Down To The Sea

A very angry water,
miffed over some perceived slight.
A change in character,
the water made mad and out of its senses.
So I’m going down to the beach
to shout at the waves,
shouting songs and sermons and psalms.


I’m reciting a poem to calm the sea,
assuring the drowned
of safe passage and eternal rest.
I’m telling the tide to turn,
to return to the storm’s source
and take with it the souls of those damned.
The souls of swimmers gone under.
Their feint cries like tender kisses.

***
3. 
Off The Record

Not now, I’m listening
to the rain’s confession.
Told in confidence
one November morning.
Spoken in whispers and gasps,
the rain’s secret life,
its untold story.


Sweeping leaves after the storm,
the rain took me aside,
wringing its blue hands,
eyes sparkling with tears.
The rain confided in me.


But what can you say?
How does one reply?
Clouds hushed and gathering,
as if something were on their minds.
As if they too
had secrets to spill
over the blackened horizon.

***

4. Permanent Solution

I was half way to the pavement
when I changed my mind.
After leaping from the bridge
I took a moment to mull it over,
my decision perhaps too hasty,
gravity a son of a gun.


Speaking of which, my itchy trigger-finger,
the difference between brain and mind.

And how I wished my doubt had lingered.

No comments:

Post a Comment